6 Rock-a-Nore, Hastings. East Sussex. TN34 3DW
Tel:01424 717 804
Mob:07792 883 600
Andrew is following his practice as a studio-based, still-life photographer and visiting lecturer in photography, graphics, and illustration extending into a fine art photographic practice using moving-image and curating photographic projects.
Andrew works in a tutorial capacity with Kingston University photography/graphics department. As an online lecturer with IDI/University of Hertfordshire in photography and graphics at M.A. level. Duties include one-to-one student-based tutorial in a tri-semester calendar, delivery of module to deadlines, assessment of student work, second marking and internal moderation. He has coordinated exhibitions for Photohastings in Hastings and St Leonard in East Sussex and previously, the fringe of the Brighton Photo Biennial since 2010 up to the present.
He gained an M.A. in photography at Brighton University in 2009 under David Green and Joanna Lowry. Project work centered on a theoretical approach to ontological issues in photography based around still and moving photographs.
Photohastings : Andrew, working alongside Grace Lau and members of a committee, has been instrumental in developing the Photohastings, (Ph), season-of-photography in Hastings and St Leonard. Events include pop-up shows, large group shows in gallery and public spaces. With over forty members, Photohastings is an evolving grass-roots photo-season whose mission statement is to become an influence on photo-centric activities regionally and to gain national recognition.
Recent Art Practice, Curatorial and Academic Activities
- Curator of the 2017 Ph exhibition of Alma Haser, ‘Broken in Half and Beautiful’, Trinity gallery Hastings. October 19-29 2017.
- Coordinator of the 2017 Ph photo-season; a series of 13 events; shows and talks.
- Coordinator of the 2016 Ph photo-season; 19 shows involving 34 photographers.
- Curator of the 2016 Ph exhibition of Simon Roberts’ ‘Pierdom’ photographic show on Hastings Pier in collaboration with Hastings Pier Charity. Oct-Nov 2016
- Tutorial project duties at Kingston University; November 2016.
- Report about ‘I am a Norman’ exhibition on BBC ‘One Show’. Oct 2016
- Coordinator of ‘I am a Norman’ outdoor, (bus shelters) photographic exhibition in collaboration with Nigel Green. Part of the Root 1066 festival celebrating 950 years since the Battle of Hastings. Sept 2016
- Talk given to the ‘Souvenir Normande’ group about the ‘I am a Norman’ exhibition content. Sept 2016
- Report on BBC Southern News about upcoming ‘I am a Norman’ exhibition. Aug 2016
- Tutorial project duties at Kingston University; November 2015
- Co-curator, with Grace Lau of the Ph, Pin-Ups; A Sense of Place, group show – Oct-Nov 2015
- Curator of the Pop-Up video show in collaboration with artist Sharon Haward – Oct 2015
- Collaborating designer with Tracy Jones of Photohastings new online identity, launched Oct 2015
- Co-organiser and committee member for the 2015 Photohastings festival
- Tutorial project duties at Kingston University; November 2014.
- Committee member in the development of the Photohastings 2014 season of photography.
- Curation of, ‘Nigel Shafran Work Books -1984 -2014’, October Photohastings 2014.
- Design of identity and a newsprint publication for photohastings season of photography, liaising with suppliers of content and compilation of the Venue Map.
- Organiser of the showing space for the Bob Mazzer photographic show ‘Underground’ at Baker Mamonova gallery, St Leonards as part of the Photohastings season. Oct 2014.
- Coordinating printmaking competition for SCCH FDA Illustration with Emma Mason Gallery; July 2014.
- Curation of Photo hub group Autumn Review Show at Hastings Arts Forum; Oct/Nov 2013.
- Tutorial project duties at Kingston University; November 2013.
- Contributor to Telling Stories at Kaleidoscope Gallery, Sevenoaks. Oct/Nov 2013.
- Developed photographic workshops with 6th form student cohort Parkwood School in St Leonard as an element of the BPBF festival. Mar/Oct 2012.
- Coordination of Hastings & St Leonards fringe events for Brighton Photo-Biennial 2012.
- Curation of photographic show of the work of Robert Wilson. Entitled Helmand-Patrol. Photographs of British soldiers in Helmand province, Afghanistan. November 2012.
- Short talk on funding issues to the Zoom Art Group to aid development of group as creative mentors. July 2012.
- Design and edit of Photo hub group directory of members prior to BPF 2012.
- Project development & management to externalise UoB/SCCH FdA illustration students’ work from March 2012.
- Photographic consultant to ‘Hansel & Gretel – Our Grimm Fairy Tale’ by Intrepidtheatre through Arts Award/Culture Shift. St Mary in the Castle; March 2012.
- Tutorial VL with Interactive Design Institute, e-tutoring with online materials from Feb 2012.
- Gained Arts Award Advisor status at Gold level.
- Failure and Success; solo photographic show. Stone Squid Experimental Art Space. Nov 2011.
- Organised book launch event for Stuart Griffiths in collaboration with Photoworks Brighton, at HAF, St Leonards-on-Sea 25th Oct 2011.
- Curated ‘Interim’ photographic show for Phg at HAF, Oct 2011.
- Gained Arts Award Advisor status at bronze and silver levels.
- Photographic contributor to ‘Red’ by Intrepidtheatre -Arts Award/Culture Shift. Stade Hall, July 2011
- Assessor to 2 day Parkwood drawing project, (Sharon Hawood, Sue Warren and Sarah Yates), Stade Hall, June 2011
- Curator of ‘An Anthology’ photographic show for Phg via MEC, HAF – April 2011
- Contributor to ‘Conflicts in Time’ LSE anthropology research project, HAF – March 2011
- Practitioner/presenter at Aim Higher14/16 event UCH/UoB Nov ’10
- Initiated and coordinated Brighton Photo Fringe Hastings, Oct/Nov ’10 to run alongside Brighton Photo Biennial.
- Curator ‘Invisible’, triadic photo’ show Hastings Arts Forum BPFH Oct ’10Dual Artist Video installation, ‘ Any Moment Whatever’, with Sarah Yates Circle gallery
- BPFH Oct ’10Contributor ‘porTRAITure’ photo-installation, Stonesquid gallery Nov ’10Co-ordinator of student ‘Valentines’ show’, Arts Forum, St Leonard-on-Sea. Feb 2010
- Recipient of Principal’s Star Award for innovation at SCCH, Dec ’09
- Completed Masters Degree in photography at University of Brighton, completed Sept ’09.
- Practitioner/presenter at Aim Higher 14/16 event UCH/UoB Sept ’09
- Contributor, Coastal Currents. Soco/Phg group show. Conversations from the Edge.Aug ’09
- Artist’s talk. Brighton Arts Forum with Helen Cammock of BPF Apr ’09.
- Speaker artist’s talk, In-Conversation, Soco artists, Hastings with Nigel Green, Mar ’09.
- Contributor to, SoCo group show, The Beacon, Hastings. March ’07
- One man Digital-video Photograph show. aSpace Gallery, St Leonard-on-Sea. March ’08
- Co-ordinator of student ‘Valentines’ show, The Arts Forum, St Leonard-on-Sea. Feb ’09
- Practitioner/presenter at Aim Higher 14/16 event UCH/UoB Sept ’08
- Photo portrait workshop at Val Williams Space, working with Grace Lau and Anna Fox. 2008
- Photographic seminar to BA student cohort Kingston University, 5th November 2008
- ‘Torque Repeat’ video installation at Folkestone Biennale Fringe for Club Shepway. Folkestone, Kent. July ’08
- Contributor to, ‘The Collaborative Show’, The Arts Forum, St Leonard-on-Sea. Feb ’08
- Speaker; Artist’s talk, In Conversation, SoCo, Oak Passage Studio, Hastings. 28th Feb ’08
- Co-ordinator of student ‘Valentines’ show, The Arts Forum, St Leonard-on-Sea. Feb ’08
- Contributor to, Sequential Illustration MA show, UoB. Sept ’07
- Contributor ‘Beneath the Radar’, triadic group mixed-media show Cafe Eat. Hastings, June ’07
From 2011 – Currently freelance: Photographer/graphic designer. E-tutor, (M.A and B.A level), in photography (also, graphics and illustration) for Interactive Design institute; accredited by University of Hertfordshire.
Visiting lecturer in photography & graphic design, Kingston University and Sussex Coast College
Coordinator/curator with Photohastings for 2015-2014 and Photo hub group festival 2010, 2012 collaborating with Brighton Photo Fringe.
2010 – 2002 Sussex Coast College Hastings/UoB – CTL & CL. Photographic and graphic advisor and sessional lecturer in H.E
Managerial duties – at SCCH
2002 – 2009 Course Team Leader ND Graphics
2003 – 2006 Course Team Leader NC Photography
2008 – 2010 Curriculum Leader year two ND Art & Design
Qualifications: M.A Photography; University of Brighton
Certificate in Education; University of Brighton
Course Team Leader certificate; HCaT
7407 Teaching Certificate, City & Guilds
Arts Award Gold Advisor status
Tutor subject areas: Photography/graphics/advertising/drawing, B.A & M.A. Fda graphics, photography and illustration, Foundation diploma, ND and 1st Dip levels.
2002 – 2000: Thirsty Fish, charity web design, Brighton.
2000 – 1978: Freelance advertising & design still-life photographer, location/food/architectural projects. Work involved running studio-based business whilst liaising with creative teams in prominent London and international advertising and design agencies, organising and producing imagery for press and poster.
Originally from London, Andrew lived on the south coast in his teens, returning to London to work in his early twenties to develop a career as a freelance still life advertising photographer, (1978-2000), running a studio, working with major advertising agencies, design groups and architects’ offices. He had a spell in web design, (2000-2002), whilst continuing to work as a photographer.
He moved to Hastings in 1995. Where, in 2001 he took the position of Course Team Leader and subsequently Curriculum Leader in art & design at Sussex Coast College Hastings, (2002-2010), taking part in two Ofsted inspections; the first a grade two and the second, a grade one. At SCCH he lectured and tutored on graphic design, photography and advertising, working across a wide range of educational and academic levels, with both young and adult students.
In 2009 he gained an M.A in photography at University of Brighton, where he developed a theory-based moving-image fine art practice, whilst commencing plans to start a photographic festival for Hastings and St Leonard. At this time he started the Photo hub group with Grace Lau, which facilitated the Brighton Photo Biennial Fringe Hastings, (now Photohastings).
The first Phg festival took place in October and November 2010 in alliance with BPF, with sixteen shows and six talks, (including Sedat Aral and Val Williams), enabling professional development across a range of levels of photographic practice in the local community, allied to an internationally respected event. Further festivals were instituted 2012, 2014 & 2015 with up to thirty shows in the latter festivals.
In 2008-9 he oversaw the installation of an analogue and digital photographic department in the newly built SCCH in readiness for the new academic year, September 2010.
Andrew left SCCH in 2010 to develop a freelance career in photography and design, lecturing and teaching, at the same time, building a fine art practice in photography moving-image and developing relationships with the fine art community in the Hastings and St Leonards locale; curating exhibitions and photographic shows which has been an ongoing part of his practice to the present day.